"Who in their right mind wouldn't want to read a book by Mark Barry!" (Mary Quallo, St Louis)

"Who in their right mind wouldn't want to read a book by Mark Barry!"  (Mary Quallo, St Louis)
Coming next week - Carla Eatherington

Thursday 19 July 2012

The Independent Paperback Gift Shop

Hi guys,

TIW is in the toilet at the minute.

I don't know what the problem is, so I'm going to leave it for a month. I don't hate my characters as I inferred last time. I'm old, tired, ill, leaking, irritable, frustrated, belly challenged, bored, bereft of useful ideas and, to be frank, pig sick of sitting around in my Inuit hat writing stuff.

So, rather than produce bollocks, I'm not going to bother. I am sorry.

If you're waiting for anything, please read or re-read Kid Atomic.

It's the most accessible book I've written. It's the simplest, least digressive, least personal and the most uplifting. Yet no one ever reads it.

Honestly, unless I become like Van Gogh - anonymous and hated in his lifetime, ranting and wailing in Nottingham High Street like some munted, earless, ranty person,  this would be the book to break me into the Hollywood big time. I read it again the other night. It's not bad at all.

There's no sex, violence or swearing in it. It's Green Wizard's family friendly book. I've sent it to my dad and he once wrote to Emmerdale Farm complaining about the amount of sex going on in the Woolpack. Well, specifically, gay sex. And swearing.

I'd send it to my mum, but she hasn't read anything more complex than Chat Weekly in twenty years. I wrote it for my son, but he's fifteen and partied out at the minute. Rock star lifestyle and not even fifth year. Last year X-Box 360, this year the Ripley backstage pass.

Anyway. More people should read Kid. If thousands of people read utter bollocks like South of Bixby Bridge, a male model's dribbling hagiography, having no inherent artistic worth whatsoever - my pet Yorkshire, Digbeth, who has a bad belly at the moment, could evacuate his half digested Pedigree Chum all over a piece of A3 and  then happily dab his puke-imprinted paws around the sheet and that would be a more relevant artistic statement than SOBB - then I should sell 50 Kid Atomics. 

So. 


Ahum. I told you I'm in a poor frame of mind.

Anyway, I've started a new community enterprise. Yay!

http://www.facebook.com/TheIndependentPaperbackGiftShop

If you want to read about it,

http://independentpaperbacks.blogspot.co.uk/

Try here and link to your feed.

I'm off somewhere inspiring. Looking forward to interviewing Jessica McHugh on Sunday!! Should be fun, so don't miss it!!

Toodles,

Wiz


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.