"Who in their right mind wouldn't want to read a book by Mark Barry!" (Mary Quallo, St Louis)

"Who in their right mind wouldn't want to read a book by Mark Barry!"  (Mary Quallo, St Louis)
Coming next week - Carla Eatherington

Sunday 15 July 2012

Guest Interview: R.Kyle Hannah!

It's my distinct pleasure to introduce Wizardwatchers to R. Kyle Hannah, this week's guest interviewee. He's an American new wave Sci Fi author and alternative historian and here's what he had to say to Green Wizard about himself and his current projects.



R Kyle Hannah
Tell us about yourself. Where do you live? Who are you?

My name is R. Kyle Hannah and I live in the suburbs of Birmingham, Alabama.
In my real job-the one that pays the bills-I am an Officer in the US Army;
been doing that for over 26 years as a reservist or on Active Duty.  I am
married, with two kids, and I'm looking forward to retirement in three
years.  

I started writing in Jr. High (so many years ago) to pass the time because Iwas BORED!  It seemed a better alternative than to be sent to the office.
My imagination, fueled by undiagnosed ADD, leaped from space to earth to, well, to wherever!  I wrote it all down and still have those stories.  Most
are absolutely God Awful, but one day I may salvage the better aspects and write a story from all that.  It is fun to go back and read them and
remember those days...

My website is www.rkylehannah.com Your readers can follow me on twitter @rkhannah or on Facebook at R. Kyle Hannah - Writer


Tell us a bit about your book?

Time Assassins is published through a variety of retailers shortly. 
My latest novel is called TIME ASSASSINS and you could say its a cross  
between Quantum Leap and Time Cop.  The famed Assassins Guild is now in the 23rd Century and has time travel at its disposal.  The new charter of the guild is to ensure that the best possible history for mankind exists; so if it means going back and stopping a dictator-or maybe even saving one for the greater good-then the Assassins go back in time.

Time travel and alternative history books have been done before, but I wanted to do something unique.  I researched actual historical events-like JFK, Lincoln, the Magna Carta signing-and then sent the Assassins back toensure that history turned out as WE know it; the alternative history is the other timeline.  So, I got a little historical fact in there and also had fun creating a completely different timeline.

TIME ASSASSINS is my second novel.  My first novel is TO AID AND PROTECT,
I wrote it in AFghanistan in 2003 and its a good first effort.  Lets just say I've learned quite a bit since then and I'm getting better with each project.  

That's a lovely cover!  Have you a writing routine? A set wordage per day? Or do you binge until its all out?

 I wish I did have a writing routine, but there just aren't enough hours in the day.  My goal is 1000 words a day and for a while I hit that pretty regularly, that's before work set in.  Do I binge?  If I'm  on a roll and the words are coming, then yeah, I'll write til the keyboard is smoking, or my hand cramps if I'm writing with pen and paper.


Neal Schon of Journey with amazing 'fro.


What would you rather be? A best selling writer or a major rock
musician?

Funny you should ask.  I started writing silly little stories in Jr. High, but really honed my skills by writing lyrics.  I play a little guitar and piano, so in High School I got together with a few friends and wrote a few songs...I still have those old silly stories and the lyrics to many many
songs. But honestly, I think I'd rather be a best selling author...the hours are better.

I think I'd rather be the lead guitarist in a rock band! Haha. Who are your influences as a writer? Who are your favourite authors?

 I've read Heinlein, Clark, and Asimov and was always blown away at the worlds they could describe; Starship Troopers was fantastic and Childhood's End is still one of my favorites.  The movie Starship Troopers was horrible but the book...I've read it at least a dozen times.  Today, I read everything by John Scalzi and William C. Dietz...they are definitely my
favorites.

Arnie and the amazing JLC
I really enjoyed Starship Troopers! Take three books, two CD's and one DVD away with you. What would they
be?


Three books? hmmm.  There is an old Buck Rogers book I've read a dozen times, I can't remember the author...but its the classic tale (not the outer space TV show) and I absolutely love it!  (great, now I want to go and drag it out again).  Starship Troopers would be the second and Old Man's War by
Scalzi would be the third.  Old Man's War is such a unique perspective and
story that I could read that (and the entire series) over and over.
Two CDs...thats a little easier.  Anything by Journey (preferably a greatest hits compilation) and the early stuff from Night Ranger.  Yes, I'm a child
of the '80s and I love it!


The DVD is easy, TRUE LIES.  That is one of my favorite movies...James
Cameron did a fantastic job!

E-publishing boom toy
How are you finding e-publishing? What do you see as the major
challenges?


I find myself going back and forth between ebooks and paper books.  I love
the convenience of having several books on my iPad, but there is nothing
like holding a book in your hands- especially your own!
The major challenge I see is the flooding of the market.  Anyone these days-talented or not-can write and publish a book.  The problem is-and I did this for my first novel-they rush to get it out there without going through a lot of necessary steps; editing, proofing are good examples.  eBooks are cheap and easy to obtain, but sometimes you get what you pay for...something you get into a few pages and then just delete it because the editing is horrible or non-existent.   

Now, on the flip side of that, you could find a masterpiece because I'I've started marketing TIME ASSASSINS...you learn so much the more you immerse yourself in the world of writing.Ive met some really talented people since.

What are your plans for the future?

 I have three years left in the Army then I'm going to find a job in the
private sector and maybe, just maybe, realize its time to grow up.  Ha ha, I
doubt that!  Seriously, I'm going to write when I can, get my kids grown
and out of the house, and enjoy life.  If, somewhere along the way, I get my
15 minutes of fame, then I'll enjoy that too!

Lost City of Atlantis
Tell us about your current work in progress?

I have several story lines in various stages, including a sequel to TIME
ASSASSINS.  What I've been working on is called ATLANTIS FALLING, its
another time travel story mixed with all of the myth and mystery of
Atlantis.  I've written a few rough chapters of that and the story is coming
along.  I'm also branching out and I've begun work on a screenplay
adaptation of TIME ASSASSINS.  Its very different from the steps of writing
a novel and I've already learned why the movies are so different from the
books. We'll see how that goes.


Mr Hannah, thanks for speaking to Green Wizard today.

Thank you, Wiz.

1 comment:

  1. Kyle,
    What a great interview! I wish you much luck with TIME ASSASSINS. It sounds like it's right up my alley.

    Christine Hughes

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.