"Who in their right mind wouldn't want to read a book by Mark Barry!" (Mary Quallo, St Louis)

"Who in their right mind wouldn't want to read a book by Mark Barry!"  (Mary Quallo, St Louis)
Coming next week - Carla Eatherington

Thursday 14 June 2012

Dark Emily

After discussing the plot to The Illustrated Woman with Dawn, I decided to lighten Emily up quite considerably. After I publish the book, I'll publish the e-mail I sent to her which details the plot. You look at it again and it makes her look incredibly dark.That isn't my intention. She isn't. Emily lurches from one disaster to another and is given a chance to put it right.  I don't think she's fully in control of her emotions, she's impulsive and is a victim of some things beyond her control, but I run the risk of the readers hating her from the very start. Don't want that to happen. I actually like Emily.

One reader read my first novel, Hollywood Shakedown, a couple of years ago and I'll summarise what she said:

'Hated the book. Couldn't give a f**k about the main character, couldn't give a f**k about  the supporting characters, didn't care what happened to \any of them and didn't care about the plot. F**king hated the book, to be honest.'

Emily deserves better than that summary so I put my cheerful hat on today and wrote some jolly stuff. You'll meet her sometime over the weekend when I put up Dawn's fantastic New Covers now she's recovered from Womanbelly.

Hollywood Shakedown, by the way, is available at all good bookshops.

I wrote just shy of 6,000 today after a total no show on Tuesday. Couldn't get it going. Tired, listless and Manflued up to the eyeballs. Took a load of photos though around Notts which will eventually form a visual guide to the events in each of the Nottingham books. Lots of UV photos taken yesterday and uploaded to my FB account for transfer to the new GW Page.

The covers are looking great. Dawn has completed four now and there are two to go. It will probably be a Sunday or Monday night launch now because of England on Friday night, but there's no rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.